It’s my youngest son’s 15th birthday today and for those of you who know him, his tastes are anything but complicated…but something has changed in the past three weeks and he actually asked me to make this sandwich which his sister made a few weeks back.
The birthday sandwich is a concoction of:
- Two slices of whole wheat bread
- Two slices of turkey breast
- Three to four thin slices of apple (MacIntosh was used today, though I would use a Granny Smith green apple next time)
- 1 to 1.5 tsp. of cranberry jelly
- 6 or more leaves of California mixed green salad (baby spinach, radicchio, arugula etc.)
- 3 tbsp. of sliced brie cheese
- olive oil (lightly brushed on the outside of the bread before grilling)
If you have a grill/Panini press, pre-heat to medium. If you don’t you can make this in a frying pan with similar results.
Spread one side of bread with cranberry jelly.
Arrange layers of the rest of the ingredients between the pieces of bread.
Lightly coat the outsides of the sandwich with olive oil.
Grill/press for about 7 minutes on medium or until the cheese begins to melt and the outside of the sandwich is a delicious golden brown. Serve immediately.