Strawberries are so tasty they hardly need anything alongside them, but if you want to create a simple little dessert for guests on a hot summer day, you can make this in just a few minutes. For the version pictured here, I sprinkled the top with a little bit of Demerara sugar, which gave it a nice little crunch.
Kids seem to love this recipe…
When my dear friend and I were at a cottage with our boys and some extra friends and family, I assembled this recipe for dessert. One of the guys smacked his lips after his last spoonful and loudly exclaimed “my compliments to the chef”! It was “a moment” of learning for me to keep it simple so that we could enjoy the finer things in life…friends and family.
- store bought sponge cake rounds (of course, if you’re ambitious, you can make vanilla cupcakes and hollow out the top to hold the filling)
- 2 tbsp. vanilla 0% fat Greek yogurt per cake round
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries per cake round
- 1 tbsp. of your favorite liquor or sherry per round (optional)
- 1 tbsp. of low-fat whipped cream per round
Place each round on a separate dessert plate and spoon yogurt into the center. Wash and slice strawberries. Top rounds with strawberries and slowly spoon liquor or sherry onto the plates in a circular pattern around the base of the round so that it is evenly absorbed by the base of the sponge. Top off with a little whipped cream or shaved chocolate.
For a chocolate alternative recipe, instead of the Greek yogurt, spread a teaspoon or more of Nutella chocolate/hazelnut spread in the base of the cake round and top with strawberries, a little squirt of whipped cream and a light coating of grated chocolate or chocolate curls.